Forums for discussion with other members
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should Nintendo keep making Mario RPGs?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:05 am 

THAT'S RIGHT. I have never played a Mario and Luigi game before... UNTIL NOW. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is a really neat addition to the Mario games in general. While the SNES had Mario RPG, the N64 had Paper Mario and Gamecube had PM2, the GBA got M&L:SSS. The game is closer to Mario RPG than Paper Mario in terms of gameplay, I would wager. It's very much action based alongside the RPG mechanics, much more so than Mario RPG was. It's likely more so even than Paper Mario. You're constantly having to make timed jumps and hammer blows to strike and counter attacks from a myriad of enemies, old and new; there is no rest for Mario and Luigi! One of the clunkier parts of the game is that you're in control of both Mario and Luigi at almost all times. Very rarely do you get one without the other! This makes some maneuvering rather difficult, especially when you're trying to climb up somewhere or there's an especially difficult jump... Mario can't separate more than about a foot away in game, unless he's been hit with a Bros Attack. Bros attacks, by the way, are an interesting mechanic in which you utilize combo attacks between Mario and Luigi together to unleash massive quantities of damage on enemies idiotic enough to cross your paths. Some of these abilities are more confusing than others, though, and they're often difficult to time well.

As it stands, I really like Mario & Luigi, despite its flaws. It has a nifty cast of characters (Fawful and Popple were both introduced here!), as well as a variety of bean-themed enemies and items. A lovely addition to the Mario series.

For the viewers at home: What do you think of Mario RPGs in general? After the (apparent) disaster of Paper Mario Sticker Star and the let down with Mario & Luigi Dream Team, should Nintendo continue to make Mario RPGs, or have they run their course?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Medals: 1
Snowman (1)  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
Have you finished the game yet? If not, where are you and have you read the instruction booklet?

One of the things that sticks with me about Superstar Saga is its plot. I won't go into any more detail. It'll be fun to see how much stuff from that game you recognize just from being on sites like Lemmy's Land...and here, too, I guess! Since this site is based on the first world, and most of the forum icons are directly from the game.

Keep this topic posted! I'd love to hear more about your experience with the game.

In terms of whether or not Nintendo should continue: I do think that RPGs in general have a lot more potential than your standard main-series Mario game in terms of depth, namely with the story, worlds, and characters. I really hope Nintendo keeps making RPGs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 am 

I love the Mario RPGs and Superstar Saga is no exception. I really like the stories and gameplay what you would never see in the main games.

Yeah, I too, would like to see more RPGs for Nintendo, even though I don't actually play any new games anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:01 pm 

Haha, I'll keep you two (are there more people?) posted, though there won't be much left to say! I'm already at the end stretch of the game. It's right after Cackaletta entered "Rookie", who'd only just remembered he was Bowser. The Beanstar got shattered into 4 pieces. At this point I'm just collecting them, though I still need to pick up Princess Peach from the Beanbean Airport.

In comparison to the Paper Mario series, I don't know if I'm enjoying it quite as much. However, it is a really fantastic addition to the Gameboy Advanced.

Also, Joey (ShadowYoshi, Storm Koopa, whatever you'd like to be referred to as!!), every time I saw something in game that was used on this website I got really excited because I finally knew who the characters were and why they were used!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 pm 

There's a few of us still here but it's pretty much dead and hardly anyone is posting. Real shame, that. I wish more people would post here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Medals: 1
Snowman (1)  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
[quote="Sage of the Forest"]Haha, I'll keep you two (are there more people?) posted, though there won't be much left to say! I'm already at the end stretch of the game. It's right after Cackaletta entered "Rookie", who'd only just remembered he was Bowser. The Beanstar got shattered into 4 pieces. At this point I'm just collecting them, though I still need to pick up Princess Peach from the Beanbean Airport.[/quote]
I'd put that at about halfway through, actually. The next few parts of the game will be really cool!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:31 pm 

On the topic of Mario RPGs, which game was better?

PAPER MARIO

or

PAPER MARIO: THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR

I haven't finished Paper Mario 2 yet but I'm about to fight Rawk Hawk and it's pretty great. I'm not loving it quite as much as the original Paper Mario, as it lost some of the charm (also the music isn't as good!!), but it's still a really neat game and fun all around.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 pm 

I never completed PM2 but I like both PM games. I think PM2 has a much better story and gameplay so I'd probably go for that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:46 am 

Superstar Saga is one of my favorite games of all time. It was *the* game that got me into Mario games and video games in general. I think it was the first real game I owned, too.

I have a file where I got both Bros. up to level 99 from level grinding over the years. I think it's the only game I've ever bothered to do that in.

[quote="Shadow Yoshi"]It'll be fun to see how much stuff from that game you recognize just from being on sites like Lemmy's Land...[/quote]
Yeah, so much stuff on there comes right out of the RPGs. Seriously, after each game was released, I remember the subject matter of like all the stories changing to have to do with the plot of the latest RPG. The Thousand Year Door was followed by tons of parodies of itself and when Partners In Time was released, every other fun fic had Shroobs or time travel in it.

[quote="Sage of the Forest"]On the topic of Mario RPGs, which game was better?

PAPER MARIO

or

PAPER MARIO: THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR[/quote]
I would say The Thousand Year Door is better, though I haven't really played the first one, so I'm a bit biased.

One of the things I've found pretty cool about the various Mario RPGs is that in replaying them several years later, I've picked up on the humor a lot more than I did then. Also, Danger Mario runs of The Thousand Year Door are pretty fun to do. Really shows how crazy awesome the badge system is in that game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:49 pm 

Most definitely. Mario and Luigi Dream Team is freaking outstanding and I would say its on par with being as good as Superstar Saga (even Superstar Saga had a couple of flaws in my opinion and its one of my most memorable videogames of all time). The Mario and Luigi series must live on, its always fun to play through each levels, doing puzzles and using the stylus to make it a very fun touch-screen using experience. Superstar Saga is incredible, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story were both good but had some iffy parts to them... mainly Inside Story but both are fun and worth the money.

Dream Team though took me on a whole new level of awesomeness with music and battling. Overworld though kinda pissed me off multiple times...