Miscellaneous Links
Affiliates

Stardust Fields Forums

Forums for discussion with other members
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silva
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 am 

I just wanted to pop in and let you guys know that I am writing a fan fic. Well, rather, I'm rewriting and finishing a fan fic I wrote back when I was in middle school (around 2007 or something like that). I wrote it with the intention of getting it on Lemmy's Land when it was done, but as time went on, I grew less and less interested in writing fan fiction and moved on to writing original stories. Fast forward even more and I no longer write fiction, but instead do music. Go figure.

I always wanted to go back and finish writing this particular story and finally get a submission on Lemmy's Land, but when Lemmy stopped updating, I gave up on writing it. Actually, come to think of it, my interest in finishing it after so many years began right before I found out Lemmy's Land was, for all intensive purposes, dead.

Anyway, at some point I realized that writing fan fics was a form of escapism or me. I struggle with depression and, at that time, thought my life in the real world was terrible. Now, I think differently—my life's not actually that bad—but back then I was writing to escape the troubles of life. I think that in part is why I stopped writing.

Now, you might be wondering why I'm writing a fan fic now even though I gave up on writing them long ago. Well, to be honest, it's because this particular story was one of the very few that I didn't use as an escape. It didn't have author-insert/author-avatar characters that were supposed to be "me" in the story. The characters were original, but they had their own unique backgrounds, personalities, quirks, etc. The story itself—well, not the original one I've posted a link to below, but the refined one that I worked on for a little bit until I found out Lemmy's Land was gone—was unique and not an unintentional ripoff of another Lemmy's Land Tourist's work like many of my other unreleased fan fictions. And, of course, I just plain liked the story. And now, I want to finish it for the community. I'd like for it to be a high-quality fan fic that tells a great story.

However, as a disclaimer, my life is pretty busy, and much of my free time goes towards working on my music (or, you know... playing video games). I don't want to get anyone's hopes up and then have them dashed to pieces when the fan fic is never released, because there's a pretty high chance of that happening, too. I am sincere when I say that I do want to finish this. It's just, it might be a long time before I have the time, motivation, or inspiration to do so.

-----

If anyone wants to read the unfinished, original story, I just pulled it out of storage on my old deviantart acount: http://darkness-yoshi.deviantart.com/art/Silva-59241949 Like I said before, it isn't good at all. What can I say? I was in middle school. Parts of it probably were influenced by the dark nature of some of Teela Yoshi's stories. Like I said, I copied others whether I realized it or not.

-----

To give you a bit of an idea of what is in store for the rewritten fic, I intend to make these original characters I have fit into the existing Mario universe in a way that feels as natural as possible.

For example, why does Silva speak English (or whatever the language on Plit is), stand upright, and have hair? Because he's descended from a group of Yoshies, separate from those on Yoshi's Island, that have those physical (hair and bone structure) and cultural (language) differences due to living far from their homeland for generations (in this case, in the Bean Bean Kingdom, though that might change for the final story considering the Yoshies there were basically the same except for their love of film and Bean Fruit). There are actually examples in the games of Yoshies with those aforementioned characteristics. Now, there's a logical explanation and background for them as well.

Regarding the Koopalings' new canonical status as just being Bowser's minions and the conflict it creates with all of the Lemmy's Land stories that have them as his children, I'm considering having a subplot with one of them finding out they were adopted or something as an in-universe explanation for it.

That's just a few of the ideas I have. So, no major plot points to reveal yet. I would give a general idea of what I'm doing, but I'm not entirely sure I know at this point.

-----

Wow, I originally intended for this to be really short post but I kept thinking of things I wanted to mention. So, please excuse the fact that I was rambling there a bit. Assuming I get to working on this, I'll be back with an update on my progress in the near future!

Last edited by DY-Elzior on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Silva
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Medals: 1
Snowman (1)  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
Welcome back. This sounds like a cool story, so you have my support. Hope you can finish it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 am 

Thank you!

I've been working on it off and on. Well, ideas for it mostly. I have it planned out for the most part, but I ran into a small issue regarding the world it's set it.

Basically, it won't be reconciling the Lemmy's Land continuity with the main Mario canon by using that "Koopalings find out they're adopted" subplot like I had planned. The way I've gone about it creates a rather glaring plot hole, so I'm basically rebooting the entire Lemmy's Land continuity for the purposes of my story. It'll be similar to the original, but at the same time different, allowing me a bit more creative freedom in the writing while also fitting in better with Nintendo's current position on the Koopalings relation to Bowser.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:18 am 

Hi DY. Nice to see more people here. Your story ideas sound interesting and I really look forward to reading what you have to put.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Medals: 1
Snowman (1)  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
 ()  ()  ()  ()
There was a story on LL once where the Koopalings did drugs, so I don't think any continuity issues will be a problem!

Welcome back, by the way!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:46 pm 

Well, I wanted to sorta plan out the story before I started writing it. There have been way too many times where I just wrote and wrote without any idea of where the story was going, only to write myself into a corner and never finish it. I don't want that to happen this time, so I'm considering things that could end up being plot holes beforehand. And, I also want my story to be at least somewhat believable (well, as much as it can be for being set in the Mario universe, that is), so I'm not gonna just overlook or ignore things.

I think I have it all figured out now, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm 

So, any ideas as to when the tale will become finished?~ I'm rather interested to hear how it'll turn out in the end!

I know how that feels. DY. SO many of my stories have begun without any idea of how the plot will work itself out... And then BAM! comes the writer's block. And I flop and quit what I'm writing.

Hope this goes well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:51 am 

So, here's a WIP version of a sketch I did of Silva, updated for 2015:
[url=http://darkness-yoshi.deviantart.com/art/Silva-2015-Sketch-WIP-506438216][img]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/011/d/b/silva_2015_sketch__wip__by_darkness_yoshi-d8diq88.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote="Sage of the Forest"]So, any ideas as to when the tale will become finished?~ I'm rather interested to hear how it'll turn out in the end![/quote]
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've been coming up with ideas for the plot pretty rapidly, but have only written a few scenes, so it'll probably be a while before it's complete.

In the meantime, I could give you a little bit of (basic, non-spoilery) background on the story if you want.

----

EDIT (1/19/15): Just gonna update this post instead of double posting.

I think I'll just give that basic non-spoilery background whether anyone wants it or not:

I've decided that the story will definitely not be trying to reconcile the canon of the Mario games and Lemmy's Land using the previously-mentioned "adoption" plotline (that'll still be there, but will just be a shout out instead). Rather, it will be a follow up story to the shared continuity of the fan fics written by Karma Koopa and Teela Yoshi, but set in an alternate timeline where "Clawdia" mysteriously disappeared a few years after Larry's birth, the characters "Playful," "Bagels," & "Susan" never existed, and "DAD" is just referred to as "The First Koopa" (or "The First"), plus various other small changes to Lemmy's Land fanon here and there.

In this universe, “Love Is Acceptance,” “Resignation,” “An Outsider’s Story,” and certain backstory parts of the remaining stories by Karma & Teela more or less happened the same way, but with the changes mentioned above (meaning no Clawdia, Playful, Bagels, etc.). Also, the events of "Intervention of Fate" never happened, but certain elements of it are referenced in my story (again, backstory stuff).

While Teela exists in this timeline, she probably won't play a big part in this story. If she were there, my antagonists would have to be much more powerful to be able to face her because she has that whole super power thing going on and my main characters would be pretty much useless compared to her. My current idea is that she is off by herself fighting Mokra Chaos or the Full Moon Death Ghost at this time, so Karma isn't able to call Teela for help using the flute Teela gave her.

Couple other little bits about the story (specifically, about the characters):

The protagonists of the story will be Ludwig and Karma.
The remaining Koopalings & Bowser Jr. will also have prominent roles in the story.
Bowser and Kamek are also there and stuff.
Silva is an antagonist in the story.

----

One last thing, I have a question for anyone who cares to answer: Would you consider Smithy an overused villain in Mario fan fics? I was considering using him in my story at one point, but I'm not sure if I could fit him into the story in a way that makes sense. It would kind of be shoehorning him into the existing plot, but I was still considering it regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:19 pm 

I've decided to do a short "Lemmy's Interviews"-type thing as a bit of a teaser for this fan fic, mostly detailing some back story stuff, but also tying in to the main story in a somewhat indirect way. Like, this is sorta seeing part of the story (or, the back story of the story, really) from another point of view before you even get to see the original view.

Optimistically, I should be able to finish it within the next few weeks.

(I hope it's alright that I double posted. I figured it wasn't too big of a deal since it's been a while and I have an update.)

EDIT: Also, for the fan fic, I've had some fun reinterpreting different aspects of old Lemmy's Land fanon such as the barely-used concept of Familikoopas and an in-universe origin for Clawdia's groan-inducing pun of a name. Most of this is just world building, though, so it won't necessarily be in the story itself.

EDIT (3/14/15):

So, I created a rough timeline today for my little alternate universe that I have going here, currently measured by Ludwig's age (don't ask why, but it's important to the story). It still needs some refining, but here it is:

[code]Year 0 - Ludwig is born (hatched?); Karma is born
Year 1 - Lemmy is born; Teela is born
Year 2 - Roy is born
Year 3 - Iggy is born
Year 4 - Wendy is born
Year 5 - Morton is born
Year 6 - Larry is born; SMB 1 and SMB:LL take place sometime between Ludwig’s birth and Larry’s
Year 7 - SMB2 takes place (and some other stuff happens)
Year 8
Year 9 - Bowser, Jr. is born
Year 10
Year 11 - SMB3 takes place
Year 12 - SMW takes place; “An Outsider’s Story” takes place; Karma and Teela each leave Dinosaur land
Year 13 - “Love Is Acceptance” and “Resignation” take place; SMRPG also takes place some time during this year
Year 14 - SMS takes place; M&L:SS takes place; [the equivalent of “Moonlight Shadow” takes place—basically, it would have taken place here had it happened the same way as the original]
Year 15
Year 16
Year 17 - “Silva” begins[/code]

I ran into a little hiccup when trying to determine the ages of Karma and Teela relative to Ludwig, but I think I figured it out:

One year passes between the events of SMW & An Outsider's Story and Love Is Acceptance, according to Recollections and Moonlight Shadow.
One night passes between Love Is Acceptance and Resignation.
Recollections takes place one year after SMW, so it has to happen shortly after Resignation.

Karma is at least 13 during Love Is Acceptance, though a specific age isn't given.
Ludwig is at least 13 during Love Is Acceptance, though a specific age isn't given.
In Resignation, Ludwig is 5 years away from being considered an adult so, assuming that's 18, he's 13 years old at most.
Ludwig is older than Karma, so she can't be older than 13 during Love Is Acceptance. So... she's also 13, but slightly younger than Ludwig.

Teela is 11 years old during An Outsider's Story (and thus, during SMW), which would make her 12 at the time of Love Is Acceptance, being a year younger than both Karma and Ludwig.

The only thing I'm left wondering is how long after Love Is Acceptance and Resignation does Moonlight Shadow take place? But, I can probably just ask Teela that. EDIT: Figured it out.

Now, so far, out of the stories written by Karma and Teela, I'm only counting Love Is Acceptance and Resignation as canon for my alternate timeline. Like, those stories happened the same way, more or less. Nothing really happens in Recollections, so I haven't really bothered adding it to the timeline. It might have happened the same way or it might not have. I'm using some elements of Intervention of Fate in my story, but the actual events it describes (a future Ludwig and Karma coming back to prevent a tragedy from occurring) didn't happen in my timeline. Teela isn't really in this fan fic, but I'm noting her existence on the timeline, nonetheless. As for whether her stories happen the same or not, I'm going to just flat out say they didn't happen the same way. I'm not saying how different they were, but they were different. Let's just leave it at that.

EDIT (4/7/15): Updated the timeline and this post with current info.

Last edited by DY-Elzior on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:26 am 

Another update. I am very close to being finished with the short interview-thing that will form a bit of the back story for this story.

I just have to edit it a bit more and it should be good to go and I'll actually submit it to the site and stuff.

So, for the interview, I needed to come up with a character to "host" it as well as a name for that character. After a lot of thought, I decided the character would be a Lakitu. I figured that kinda fit what I was looking for seeing as there are multiple Lakitu reporters in the Mario series and that was the format the interview was sort of written in.

For a name, I decided I'd go with something alliterative to match up with the various other names of individual characters in the series (for example, another reporter, Kylie Koopa, or another Lakitu, Lakilester)... so yeah, I decided on "Laurence." While "Lakilaurence" would match up better with Lakilester or Lakilulu, it just didn't sound right to me, so I just settled on Laurence.

But yeah, I have a question for anyone who cares to answer: Does that name sound decent enough? I was going for something that wouldn't sound out of place in one of the games and doesn't obviously scream "fan character." Did I succeed in doing that?

--

EDIT (4/7/15): So, I have some news. First off, the interview is slightly closer to being done than it was before, but still isn't complete. I've been a little busy with life in general, so I had to take a break from working on it.

I've still been planning out things, however. I actually have an idea for a second story that takes place in the same universe as "Silva" and the interview. I was originally going to try to fit it into the plot of "Silva," but the plot of that story is pretty much all laid out and trying to add this second story to it just wouldn't work. It just works better as its own story. All that said, I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever get to writing it, considering how long Silva is taking.